Sunday, November 25, 2007

Harlem Thanksgiving - digest (heh)

Due to a miscommunication, there were no blackeyed peas. However, there was cornbread, a Harlem-inspired addition which I failed to mention in my earlier post. While no one was blown away by the cornbread, it was pretty tasty and moist, which apparently is an achievement for parve cornbread, since cornbread is usually heavily dairy. (The recipe, which I found on a kosher blog, is a vegan recipe, purportedly from Angelica Kitchen, a restaurant I'm not crazy about but everyone vegan seems to love.) The collard greens, to which Uptown Dad added liquid smoke to make up for the lack of ham hocks, got lots of praise. And the sweet potato pie was certainly the sleeper hit of the night (people seemed more excited about that than about my husband's famous chocolate pecan pie, although we chocoholics continued to prefer the latter).

And the turkey -- oh my goodness, suffice it to say there were NO leftovers, none, zip, from a 17-pound bird. Yikes!

No comments: