Sunday, November 1, 2009

Kosher cupcakes in Harlem, revisited

I am late with my report back about the cupcakes because the party for which I had ordered them had to be postponed a week due to illness.

So now I can tell you: Tonnie's cupcakes are absolutely lovely. They were giving out samples when I arrived so I got to try a chocolate one, although I didn't succeed in getting a chocolate from the party assortment (a guest got there first). Based on what I saw with the samples and with my baker's dozen, it appears that they don't put the frosting on until the moment of sale. They were absolutely delicious. Uptown Mom is a happy camper.

I also inquired about the kashrut while I was there. The man behind the counter, who seemed to be either the owner or manager, seemed quite knowledgeable about the status. Although the letter evidencing the hashgacha is not yet there, it seems that he is aware of the steps he needs to take to get it, and just hasn't gotten around to it because they've only been open a few weeks. Since the other location is already supervised and he readily recited to me (correctly) the website where I can find information about the supervision of that location (Kosher-NY), I think he knows his stuff and we'll see the letter soon. Will report back when I actually see it (let me know if you see it first!).

No comments: