Thursday, October 18, 2007

Is SoHa the new Greenwich Village?

I have resisted the term SoHa for a long time, primarily because the term was stolen from certain other neighborhoods (as far as I can tell, in its original coinage it referred to areas south OF Harlem, rather than South Harlem, i.e., a part of Harlem), but my resistance is waning as I think the term is gaining currency as a recognizable term describing my little corner of Harlem, and the word "Harlem" by itself refers to such a huge part of Manhattan that the narrower term seems useful.

Anyhow, this article from today's Sun argues that we are substantially on the way to being the new Village (or SoHo?).

As someone who is quite fond of both Harlem Vintage and the Winery, I am heartened by the implication in the article that the potential rivals seem to view themselves as evidence of the area's robustness, not cut-throat competitors.

(Incidentally -- can't resist mentioning this, since I am after all Uptown Mom: I ADORE the Winery and shop there regularly -- unbelievable fabulous decor and price point -- but forget about getting a double stroller in there. Not that they're unfriendly -- there's just no way it is going to fit. At least not when the store has lots of people in it -- I haven't tried when it's empty, but I don't think it would work even then, it is just so tiny. At Harlem Vintage -- also a great store, although pricier -- I have attended tastings and events with some portion of my rugrats in tow and have felt quite welcome.)

No comments: