Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Bagel, I hardly knew ye!

People ask me all the time whether I "feel safe" in my neighborhood. Should I?

Check out the trend data for the 28th Precinct and compare it to the rest of the city.

Since these are numbers rather than rates, you might expect them to go up a bit when the population increases (all else being equal). More people and equivalent crime rates = more crimes. But I'm pretty sure the population is not increasing by the kinds of numbers you're seeing here.

My understanding is that the 28th Precinct has lost some number of police officers. MEMO TO NYC: WE NEED THEM BACK. PLEASE. ASAP.

Bagel in Harlem has hit rock bottom. Sure, what happened to her could have happened anywhere. And in fact, felony assault numbers are actually dropping more quickly in Harlem than elsewhere. But other categories of violent crime are on the rise. I hope she changes her mind and comes back, but I can hardly blame her if she doesn't.

No comments: